Contact informationPlease contact Rajni Kumar for more information
Tissue Micro Array
Digital handling and scoring of TMA analyses
The use of TMA for research is common place. Combining TMAs with whole slide imaging provides powerful options of allowing simultaneous, remote viewing and scoring of individual punches by any number of collaborative groups and individuals.
In a TMA up to 500 biopsy samples are collected in one paraffin block. Sections of these are analyzed together, offering many benefits such as identical treatment of all samples, and many analyses can be done on the same material.
Collection is done from morphologically representative areas in regular formalin fixed, paraffin-embedded blocks. The desired tissue in the block is localized with the help of HE-stained sections. The cylinder formed biopsies are removed from the donor block using a core needle and place in a “punch” in the recipient paraffin block. One can therefore gather hundreds of biopsies in a recipient block. The finished block is then sectioned and stained with HE or immunostaining. The finished stained TMA section is scanned in the NanoZoomer for further analysis by the pathologist/researcher.
Digitized and automated system
The challenge with TMA is managing the large number of samples on a small surface. Traditionally, pathologists do this in a microscope by manually observing which punch is which. We saw the need for a digitalized and automated system and created the TMA software for scoring and analysis of TMA. We have also developed a web version (TMA Web) where TMA’s can be shared and discussed online.
Why Use TMA Web?
- Using our Internet based system for TMA scoring allows many people to be involved in the project simultaneously
- Faster and more practical than looking down a microscope to score the TMAs
- Greatly aids communication between participants while the project is running
- Simplifies the collection and analysis of scoring data
- TMA layout management tool, which runs as a standard window application helps in designing the layout of the TMA
- Multiple methods of scoring the TMA, the user can select the most appropriate way depending on the sample and stain
- Score data export to Excel
- User, group, role type administration